Happy New Year! I have a lot planned for 2016 – and with a little luck and a lot of accountability, you’ll all be in for some amazing treats this year!
Since I had reasonable success with my goals last year, I’ve decided to share this year’s resolutions with all of my wonderful readers in the hopes that it’ll keep me honest for another year. 😀 And here they are!
1. Reading. I went way above my original goal last year (with over 119 books read), and I seriously considered pushing myself even higher this year. However, I’ve decied to take a different approach. My reading goal this year has two parts: a number of books to read but also specific books to read. I haven’t chosen all of my required titles yet, but I do know my goal is 100 books, and that I want to read at least one book a month in a genre I’m not 100% comfortable with. I read a ton of fantasy last year (it’s my favorite) so I want to make sure I read a few titles outside of that niche.
2. Writing. I will have book three finished and published before the end of the year. In fact, I want to have book four well in development by the end of the year as well, which means book three needs to be done by June … ish. In addition to my novels, I want to finish my holiday short story, and maybe even whip up a few other short pieces for fun. You know, exercise my creativity and all that.
3. Networking. I want to work on utilizing Facebook and Twitter more effectively. I plan on picking two or three books to read to help realize this goal. Plus, I’m seroiusly going to start working on my newsletter. Seriously.
4. Reviews. New! Since becoming an author myself, I’ve learned the importance of book reviews. I never gave much thought to them before, even though I constantly talk and rave about my favorite titles to anyone who even hints they like to read. In 2015 specifically, I introduced a few of my friends and coworkers to a couple of my favorite books, and I loved the resulting discussions I had with them afterwards. The only thing I love more than reading a good book, is talking about that good book with other people who enjoyed it. So, that said: I want to share my enthusiasm for reading with more people. I literally have hundreds of titles that I’ve read and loved, but never reviewed. I’m going to change that. My goal this year is to post one book review a week – it doesn’t have to be crazy detailed or long, but I want to share what I loved, why I loved it, and who I think would also love it.
5. Structure. Believe it or not, I’m very much a list person. I like making lists, and I’m more productive when I have them as well, especially schedules. Particularly schedules that require me to achieve something before I can do something I want. I don’t utilize this aspect of my personality enough (I’m a horrible, horrible procrastinator), so this year I want to get a loose daily schedule set up for myself. One that includes an hour of exercise, at least an hour of fiction writing, and an hour of networking before letting myself read or play videio games or watch anime. No more, “Oh, just an hour of reading while I eat dinner, then I’ll do ___.”because I never stop reading when I’m supposed to. Better to get the essentials out of the way first, then let myself go crazy.
There you have it! My goals for 2016. Do you have any resolutions for the new year? Feel free to share below!