So I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I haven’t finished my book this week. In fact, I’ve only gotten about 1,500 words in. The good news though, is I think I’ve managed to work through what was blocking my productivity – and I think I figured out what the problem is.
I’m pretty sure I’m a linear writer.
Of course, I could be making this all up in my head, but I’ve noticed that whenever I get stuck on something, it’s because I don’t like some aspect of the work that came before. I keep trying to push myself onto the next section, but it doesn’t always pan out. Like now – I know where I want to go with the story, ultimately. I know what should come next – but I can’t get the scenes going because there’s a BIG section I need to rewrite to make better sense. I’m avoiding the rewrite because I want to add to the story for Camp – this is not the time for editing or revision, right? Wrong. My brain just was not letting me focus on the future scenes – it kept dwelling on how fix the previous chapter.
I had a slow day at work yesterday, so while I was occupied with mindless cleaning tasks I did a bit of mental brainstorming for the scene that needed the rewrite. Stuff like, what needed to stay, what needed to go, what elements were missing from the piece, how to weave in the old and new pieces so that it would make sense – that sort of thing. By the end of the night, I had the scene all reworked in my head, and my enthusiasm and excitement for the story was slowly building again. To the point where I almost forgot to do my Friday post today!
Here’s hoping I can make some headway on the novel over the weekend. We’ll see if I figured out what causes my block on Monday – keep your fingers crossed!