Phew! What a week! There was a ton of stuff that happened that I certainly didn’t expect – mostly on the personal front. First, here’s the general breakdown for last week’s goals:
- Pack and prepare for the ‘big move’ – Mission accomplished and exceeded!
- Add 5k words to Fire Blessed – Utter failure. I didn’t type a single word last week. I promise I have a good excuse though!
- Reread UnBlessed – Nope. I’ve decided to save this particular goal for my vacation – I have at least a two hour layover in Dallas on the way to Georgia.
- Work through my box of ‘meh’ books – Progress! The 19 remaining books in the box has dwindled to 15 – two were definite keeps, one was a pleasant reread but nothing stellar, and the last just couldn’t keep my attention.
- Stick to my new posting schedule – Success! Wednesday marks the second successful week of posting, and I haven’t run out of ideas yet. Yippee!
So, why did I miss my writing goal last week? Especially since I was so sure that I could exceed it? Well, the ‘packing prep’ turned into a full out move. My husband and I decided to enlist the help of a small moving company rather than renting a U-Haul (probably not a good idea to have the depth-perception challenged try to drive with a trailer). The unforeseen result of going with Mini Moves? They ended up coming to get my stuff on Friday. Plus, I sold all the rest of our stuff to an estate salesman – who ended up coming to get that on Friday, too. So I’m now living in an empty house with nothing but a bed, my computer, a folding chair and my handmade desk my parents are going to hold onto for me. Do you have any idea how creepy a completely empty house is?
Another pleasant surprise last week was the arrival of my younger brother and his wife on Monday. Ron (the sibling) is in the army and decided to stop by on his way to his new assignment in Washington state. He and his wife (Kana) stayed until Thursday – and since I hadn’t seen either of them in over a year I spent a little more time with them than I originally intended. It was worth it, though. It’s not like Fire Blessed is going anywhere – it can wait a week.
I also received the appraisal on my house. The good news is that it appraised high enough. The bad news is that the bank was demanding we repaint the porches and the window trims before they would release the funds for the loan. Why? Because banks are stupid, I guess. So in addition to moving my entire life out, I had to find someone to paint a pretty decent chunk of my house. Oh, did I forget to mention that we also had to repair the back porch railing? Which meant, I needed someone cheap. And fast – closing is set for the 28th! And it’s just me – the hubby is already in Austin. Talk about stress. I was in tears on Thursday. But it all worked out in the end!
Now for my new goals for the week:
- Stick to my posting schedule. This is a no-brainer, but I also want to try pre-typing a few posts in preparation for my vacation week and the subsequent ‘moving week’ – I did my first test of this feature last Monday. I think it worked out pretty well!
- Writing goal – the 5,000 words I missed last week. The good news is I don’t have anything left to move … so as long as the appraiser approves the repairs I should be in the clear.
- Reading goal – do my best to finish up the last 15 books in my ‘meh’ box. At least four of them are part of a series – if the first one doesn’t snag my attention the whole lot can go. Oh, and pick one of the books on my TBR list to buy for my vacation. My rapidly growing TBR list …
- Personal goal – this is essentially my last week in the house. By Friday I hope to have all the remainder packed: clothes, dishes, bathroom essentials, etc. Everything will get carted over to the parents (providing a helpful test run to make sure I can fit everything in my car) on Saturday so that I don’t have a mad scramble when I get back from vacation. I also hope to set up a few farewell dinners to say goodbye to friends and family before I head down to Austin.